Monday, April 02, 2007

Park Ave. Peregrine Falcons: 31 March 2007

DBY_ParkAvePF_w409p(20070331b).jpg
Peregrine Falcon
299 PARK AVE.
Image by D. BRUCE YOLTON
(Click image to visit Bruce's site with add'l photos)

The above image was taken by Bruce Yolton on Saturday March 31st shortly after 6:30pm. Thank's to Bruce for allowing me to use his image on this blog. He had the right idea in trying to get as close as possible to the Peregrine Falcon. This was the easiest way of increasing image size without having to buy more glass.

PF_ParkAve_w0135p(20070331).jpg
299 Park Ave.
(6:21pm EDT)
420mm | ISO: 80 | Shutter: 1/200s | Aperture: f/5.0
(clickable image)

The image to the right was taken by me and is the of the same Peregrine on the same perch as Bruce's photo. I took this from 49th St. looking east as I was approaching Park Ave. I was half a block away from the Peregrine.

The activity was limited. I arrived at the site around 6:25pm.

It was great having Bruce there. At his suggestion we looked for a closer spot to image the falcon. We ended up at the corner of 51st St. & Park Ave. on the west side of the avenue for the photos he took.

The falcon remained on the same perch from before the time I arrived around 6:20pm until 6:44pm. Bruce left the site around 6:50pm.

I stayed on and watched the last pass of a falcon at 7:16pm. It headed north behind 350 Park Ave. and then passed behind the Park Ave. Atrium between 52nd & 53rd St. I wasn't able to follow it north of the Atrium.

I left the site at 7:20pm. Be sure to visit Bruce's site (click the top photo) for more images and in the future for additional updates.

1 Comment:

Payal Ganga said...

Great blog, I enjoyed reading